The Association announces that effective April 1, 2015 QAA registrants (in addition to completing the required coursework), must meet both work and competency components. To graduate, the QAA student must have at least two years’ experience as an administrative professional having utilized the competencies* as listed further below.
The main purpose of the Association of Administrative Professionals/Assocation des Professionnels de l’administration is to encourage people in the business world to continuously upgrade their professionalism through continuing education. The Association is confident that the advantages of advanced learning will be of mutual benefit to the company and the Administrative Professional.
The Qualified Administrative Assistant (QAA) Program, sponsored by the Association, is one of the vehicles available to those interested in advancing their professional development. The educational classes are available through distance, online, and lecture courses from Universities and Colleges across Canada. The requirements for work experience and demonstrated core competencies will provide validation/mastery of skills related to the role of an advanced administrative professional.
All applicants wishing to register as a QAA student, must either already be a member of the Association of Administrative Professionals or simultaneously be in the process of becoming a member and enrolling in the QAA program. Please refer to the membership page for the forms.
Please complete the QAA enrollment form to enroll in the QAA Program and send via email to the QAA Registrar. Payment via Email Transfer is preferred and payment details will be provided upon request. Alternatively, you can pay via PayPal or enclose a $100 cheque made payable to the Association of Administrative Assistants and mail it to:
National Director – Registrar
Association of Administrative Professionals
118 Dominion Drive
Fort McMurray, AB T9K 2N2
QUALIFIED ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (QAA) PROGRAM
- The QAA Program is a certificate program for office professionals. Association members are encouraged to attain the designation, Qualified Administrative Assistant. The QAA designation is achieved by meeting the required two years’ work experience and proven mastery of core competencies* compiled by employers across the country as being crucial to the role of an advanced-level office professional. The educational component of the QAA designation is met by completing seven courses available at accredited universities and colleges across Canada.
- These courses can be completed through university distance, lecture and / or online courses. The program consists of three compulsory courses and four elective courses. It will provide a valuable background in general business education. Although course titles and contents vary somewhat in different educational institutions, the courses will assist office personnel in understanding corporate initiatives and in being a valuable team member of their organization.
- Students have seven (7) years to complete their program requirements, starting from the date of their first course.
WORK COMPETENCIES TO BE VALIDATED**
- Financial/ accounting /budgets
- Project/Event Management
- File and Information Management
- Research, analytical, critical thinking and problem solving
- Meeting coordination (all aspects)
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, spreadsheets,
- Internet Research
- Live Meeting/ Skype
- Other research expertise
- Social media
- Website management
- Electronic calendar/ scheduling
- Human Resources
- Time management/prioritizing
- Reliable and dependable
- Team player
- Leadership/Management skills
- Report/proposal writing,
- Public relations
- Business communications (both oral and written)
- Email protocol
- Interpersonal communications expertise to maintain successful professional relationships
**The above work competencies must be validated by a current or previous supervisor or someone in a position to professionally confirm that the QAA student has demonstrated expertise in each of the four categories in a work component equalling a minimum of two working years.
TO ENROLL IN THE QAA PROGRAM
Payment can be made via email transfer, PayPal or cheque. If you wish to mail your payment enclose a $100 cheque made payable to the Association of Administrative Assistants and send to the Registrar at: 118 Dominion Drive, Fort McMurray, AB T9K 2N2. Payment of this one-time $100 fee is non-refundable and does not constitute membership in the Association. At the end of each completed course, it is the student’s responsibility to provide proof to the National Director – Registrar with confirmation of successful completion
At the completion of the QAA Program, the student must send a transcript of all completed courses and the Core Competency Verification and Work Experience Verification Forms to the National Registrar.
- Tuition fees are determined by and paid to the educational institution where the student is enrolled. Telephone or write the Continuing Education Department at your nearest educational institution to obtain a course calendar, a course registration form, and tuition fee information.
- The cut-off date for receipt of marks and determination of graduate status for annual graduation is March 31st.
- Upon successful completion of the seven courses and proof of paid membership in the Association, the student’s name will be included in the graduating class of the current academic year. The annual QAA graduation is held in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting (usually in May). At that time, the Qualified Administrative Assistant (QAA) designation will be granted.
- Designation will be renewed annually upon receipt of Association dues.
CERTIFICATION RENEWAL PROGRAM
As noted above, the Association encourages members to continuously upgrade their professionalism through continuing education. To remain consistent with other professional associations who require their members to recertify their professional designation on a regular basis, we provide our QAA graduates with a process to regularly renew their certification and maintain professional currency. Since April 1, 2010, students who enroll in and graduate from QAA program must complete a certification renewal process every three years. Certification renewal is optional for members who enrolled prior to April 1, 2010.
For more information, email the QAA Certification Renewal Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.